Émilie Régnier: Mali Passport
via foam: ‘I am really driven by the idea of showing a West African society that is growing,’ says Régnier. That means ignoring the easy and the rote: pictures of elites quaffing champagne, or images cataloguing the atrocities of war. Witnessing with a camera takes many forms. For Régnier, photographic truth is located in the bodily presence of young West Africans proudly negotiating their future, a diverse future of many possibilities.’
The footage of former Ravens running back Ray Rice punching his then-fiancée in the face started a much-needed conversation about domestic violence. This comedian took a completely different approach with a “Ray Rice Inspired Makeup Tutorial” that could’ve gone so incredibly wrong but instead gets it so so right.
i was so impressed with this horse i had to show my housemate and sHE LAUGHED. she laughed! at the horse! what the hell u laughin at !? this horse is better than u. dont be laughin. hang ur head in shame and accept the fact u will never be as good as this horse just like the rest of us. fucking laughed.
available at your local hair store
The Animals - Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
Asa Smith. Celestial Illustrations from Smith’s Illustrated Astronomy. 1851.
Wood engravings with hand highlighting, written by the principal of Public School No. 12 in New York City with the goal “to present all the distinguishing principles in physical Astronomy with as few words as possible”.
- wrote Christian poetry in his youth
- wrote Satanist poetry in his maturity
- had an illegitimate son by his housemaid (while writing about how unfair it is that “proletarian women are at the service of the bourgeois”)
- bragged to Engles about his good luck of having an uncle and his mother die, because he could get their inheritances
- wrote that Jews were “cancer” to be “eliminated”
- wrote that “Beating is the only means of resurrecting the Germans […] Germans, Chinese, and Jews have to be compared with peddlers and small merchants.”
- wrote of Russians, Czechs, Croats, and Slavic people in general: ”These retrograde races […] have the immediate task of perishing in the revolutionary world storm. […] The coming world war will cause not only reactionary classes and dynasties, but entire reactionary peoples, to disappear from the face of the earth. And that will be progress. […] Their very name will vanish.”
- was a big fan of slavery, writing: “Without slavery, North America, the most progressive of countries, would be transformed into a patriarchal country. Wipe North America from the map of the world and you will have anarchy-the complete decay of modern commerce and civilization. Abolish slavery and you will have wiped America off the map of nations.”